Polymer and Molecular Characterization Facility (MoSE 1241)
**** Interested users must login to the Shared User Management System (SUMS) and request access to the Instrument Group "STAMI" ****
The polymer and molecular characterization facility is a collection of instruments by STAMI faculty members with the capability of measuring: 1) molecular weights of polymers by GPC at ambient and high temperatures; 2) sizes of macromolecular particles by DLS; 3) liquid-solid surface interface properties by contact angle measurement; 4) the absorptive properties of solutions, solids, and thin films from UV to the near IR wavelengths; 5) infrared absorption properties of solutions, solids, and thin films; 6) fluorescent and phosphorescent properties of solutions, solids, and thin films at variable temperatures; and 7) thermal properties such as glass transition temperature and thermogravimetric properties with DSC/TGA.
The Polymer and Molecular Characterization Facility is currently is located in the Molecular Sciences and Engineering building (MoSE 1241) and operates as a cost center to increase usage by the broader Georgia Tech community. If you are interested in using the facility, please login to the Shared User Management System (SUMS) and request access to the Instrument Group "STAMI". Instrument training, scheduling, and billing for the STAMI Lab is all handled through SUMS. Educational, Government, and Industrial users may request access by contacting us, external billing rates apply.
Instrumentation in the Polymer and Molecular Characterization Facility
- Tosoh EcoSEC Gel Permeation Chromatograph (GPC) with Wyatt Dynamic Light Scattering and Viscosity detectors
- Tosoh EcoSEC-HT (high temperature) Gel Permeation Chromatograph (GPC) with refractive index detector
- Agilent LC/MS (1260 LC with 6120BMS MS) liquid chromatograph with mass spectrometry detection set up for very small sample volume and rapid run time of ~11 minutes with electrospray ionization and a mass range of 100-2000 m/z
- Agilent GC/MS (1260 G with 7890a MS) capillary gas chromatograph using a highly inert, nonpolar column for use with various organics including amines, phenols, acids, and others with electron impact ionization mass spectromentry having a mass range of 50-1000 m/z
- Wyatt DynaPro NanoStar Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS)
- Rame-Hart Inc model 300 goniometer for contact angle measurements
- Horiba Jobin Yvon Fluorolog 3-2i fluorometer with polarization accessory and integrating sphere (capable of fluorescence lifetime measurements) and low temperature
- Horiba Jobin Yvon Fluorolog 3-21 fluorometer (routine fluorescence measurements)
- Cary 5000 ultraviolet to near infrared spectrometer (UV-Vis) (175 nm to 3300 nm) with diffuse reflectance, specular reflectance, and variable angle specular reflectance attachments
- Shimadzu Prestige 21 Infrared Spectrometer (FT-IR) with Diffuse Light Scattering (powders) and Attenuated Total Reflection (films, liquids) capabilities.
- TA Instruments Q200 Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC)
- Perkin Elmer Pyris 1 Thermogravimetric Analyzer (TGA)