Polymer and Molecular Characterization
The polymer and molecular characterization facility is a collection of instruments by STAMI faculty members with the capability of measuring: 1) molecular weights of polymers by GPC at ambient and high temperatures; 2) sizes of macromolecular particles by DLS; 3) liquid-solid surface interface properties by contact angle measurement; 4) the absorptive properties of solutions, solids, and thin films from UV to the near IR wavelengths; 5) infrared absorption properties of solutions, solids, and thin films; 6) fluorescent and phosphorescent properties of solutions, solids, and thin films at variable temperatures; and 7) thermal properties such as glass transition temperature and thermogravimetric properties with DSC/TGA.
The polymer and molecular characterization facility is currently used by permission from STAMI faculty members. In 2017, the facility will move to a new laboratory in the Molecular Sciences and Engineering building with plans for conversion into a cost center to increase usage by the broader Georgia Tech community. If you are interested in using the facility, please contact us.
Instrumentation in the Polymer and Molecular Characterization Facility
- Tosoh EcoSEC Gel Permeation Chromatograph with Wyatt Dynamic Light Scattering and Viscosity detectors
- Tosoh EcoSEC-HT (high temperature) Gel Permeation Chromatograph/HT with refractive index detector
- Agilent LC/MS (1260 LC with 6120BMS MS) liquid chromatograph with mass spectromentry detection set up for small sample volume with mass spectrometry detection
- Agilent GC/MS (1260 G with 7890a MS) capillary gas chromatograph with electron impact mass spectromentry detection
- Wyatt DynaPro NanoStar Dynamic Light Scattering
- Rame-Hart Inc model 300 goniometer for contact angle measurements
- Horiba Jobin Yvon Fluorolog 3-2i with polarization accessory and integrating sphere (capable of fluorescence lifetime measurements) and low temperature
- Horiba Jobin Yvon Fluorolog 3-21 (routine fluorescence measurements)
- Cary 5000 ultraviolet to near infrared spectrometer (175 nm to 3300 nm) with diffuse reflectance, specular reflectance, and variable angle specular reflectance attachments
- Shimadzu Prestige 21 Infrared Spectrometer with Diffuse Light Scattering (powders) and Attenuated Total Reflection (films, liquids) capabilities.
- TA Instruments Q200 Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- Perkin Elmer Pyris 1 Thermogravimetric Analyzer